Marriage Licenses

Town Clerk’s office is now open to the public 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday (except holidays).

Obtaining a Marriage License

  • You must obtain the marriage license in the town in which you reside in Vermont. If you are out of state or out of the country, you may go to any town clerk’s office in Vermont. Note: a Vermont license is only good for getting married in Vermont.
  • The marriage license is $60. A certified copy is an additional $10 (you need this if names are being changed). We accept cash, check, and credit or debit cards (there is an additional convenience fee for credit and debit cards).
  • The town clerk’s office opens at 8:00 a.m. We ask that you get here before 4 p.m. in order to process all the paperwork.
  • If you have a temporary officiant performing the ceremony, the paperwork from the Secretary of State’s Office must be returned with the signed marriage license.
  • If you have an officiant authorized to perform ceremonies in another state, they need to go through Probate Court in Burlington to get authorization to perform a ceremony in Vermont. That documentation needs to be returned with the signed marriage license.
  • The marriage license needs to be returned to the Town Clerk’s Office within ten days from the date of the ceremony, at which time a certified copy will be sent if one was requested.
  • List of Justices of the Peace

Related Documents