Pie Baking Contest
How to Enter
REGISTRATION: Drop off a completed registration form, a copy of your recipe, and your $5 contest fee payment to the Essex Parks and Recreation office at 81 Main St., Essex Junction no later than Friday, October 6 at 4:30pm.
DELIVERY: Entries can be delivered to the Explore Essex Information Booth during Community Day at Foster Road Park on Saturday, October 7th between 8am to 10am.
FEE: $5.00 per entry, payable at the time of registration.
All entries will be judged by a team of judges on October 7th. No one is permitted in the judging area during judging (except for the judges and any assistants). All contest rules must be followed exactly and decisions of the judges are final.
All entries judged will be based on the following key areas:
- Appearance/Presentation - 15 points
- Flavor - 15 points
- Crust (flakiness) - 15 points
- Filling - 15 points
- Bonus (difficulty of recipe) - 10 points
- Overall Quality of Product - 25 points
TOTAL Maximum Score - 95 points
The entries with the three highest scores will be awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes.
- Pictures/descriptions of products in the Explore Essex Adult Pie Baking Contest must not be posted on social media until after the judging is complete and the results are made available.
- Product must be registered in the name of the home cook who is representing the entry. No business cards or other promotional items will be displayed. There should be no name visible on the printed recipe.
- A recipe which wins its class may not be entered in future Explore Essex cooking contests.
- Products must be made from "scratch" - no mixes or prepared foods classified as "convenience foods".
- Entries become the property of Explore Essex and no containers or products will be returned to the entrant.
- Products, with ribbons, will remain on display during the entire Community Day event.
- Unauthorized removal of products from the display area will result in future ineligibility.
- Pies should be delivered uncut. if the entry is created in individual servings or pieces, at least three (3) samples must be provided, neatly arranged on a a serving dish. Garnishing is encouraged.
- A clearly written, accurate recipe must accompany each entry. Recipes become the property of Explore Essex and may be published.
- Foods must not require refrigeration or heating prior to judging. Perishable products would be unsafe to eat after two (2) hours at room temperature and therefore cannot be entered in this contest.
- Contestants must be residents of Vermont.
Award winners will be announced at Community Day. You do not have to be present. Awards must be picked up in person before November 1st.