Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

There are more specific frequently asked questions under each town department


 When are the Town Offices open?

Monday through Friday, 7:30am - 4:30pm, except for federal holidays and weather emergencies.

 What are the current tax rates?

For a list of the current tax rate please see the  current tax rate sheet  for the Town and the Village.

 When are taxes and water due?

The Town of Essex is on a fiscal year of July 1 to June 30. Taxes are due September 15 and March 15 of each year. Water bills are due in June and December. Payments MUST be postmarked by the due date and a drop box is available at 81 Main Street.

 I live in the Town - why is my address in Essex Junction?

All home deliveries in the Town or Village have a mailing address of Essex Junction with an 05452 zip code. If you have a P.O. Box in the Town of Essex Post Office (on Essex Way) your mailing address will have a 05451 zip code. If you have a P.O. Box in the Village of Essex Junction Post Office (on Pearl Street) your mailing address will be Essex Junction and your zip code will be 05453.

 How do I know if I live in the Town or the Village?

The attached Word document lists all of the streets in the Town and the Village, showing which entity as well as if it is a private drive.
Attached Document or FileStreet listing handout a listing of all streets withing the Town and Village

 Where do we get a marriage license and what do we need to bring with us?

In Vermont you get your license in the community in which one of you resides, so you would get your license in the Town Clerk's Office.  For more information visit our Marriage License Info page.

 Can I get a hunting / fishing license at the Town office?

Hunting and fishing licenses can be obtained at our office. The following is a list of current fees set by the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department. For more information regarding hunting fishing and trapping fees and laws go to

 When is recycling / trash picked up?

Recycling and solid waste disposal will vary depending on your provider. Solid waste disposal is not currently a service provided by the Town. Community members may contact and hire an independent hauler or bring their own refuse to the Chittenden Solid Waste District located at 218 Colchester Road (across from Route 289's Exit 7 ramp). For more information on the disposal of refuse, the Chittenden Solid Waste District has information at the their web site or call at 802-878-3152.
This is the official site of the Town of Essex, Vermont