The Town of Essex has a five member selectboard who are elected by the voters and, appoint all other members of the Town's boards/committees. The Selectboard meetings are held on the first and third Mondays of every month beginning at 7 p.m. in the conference room at 81 Main Street.
- General supervision of town affairs, working through the Town Manager.
- Ensure fair and credible planning and zoning process.
- Provide direction.
- Encourage communication among all entities.
- Provide financial and staff support through the preparation of the town budget.
- Insure appointees are qualified.
- Adopt ordinances, town plan and bylaws.
- Authorize permit issuance under interim zoning or during bylaw amendment hearings.
- Approve performance bonds for required public improvements.
- Approve application and hearing fees.
- Accept streets.
- Adopt impact fees and ordinances.
- Appoint and remove the Town Manager and supervise, create, change, and abolish offices, commissions or departments other than the offices, commissions or departments established by charter.
- Appoint the members of all boards, commissions, committees, or similar bodies unless specifically provided otherwise by charter.
- Provide for an independent audit by a registered or certified public accountant.
- Inquire into the conduct of any officer, commission or department and investigate any and all municipal affairs.
- Exercise other power which is granted to the Selectboard by the Statutes of the State of Vermont.